10 Step Sharpening

Join us here for some general chit chat
Schaut hier herein um ein bisschen zu klönen

10 Step Sharpening

Postby lefty » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:23 am

An alternative to the Unsharp Mask in Photoshop:

1) Duplicate the layer.
2) Use the zoom tool to view the image at 100%, (find somewhere with detail, there is no point in looking at a flat sky).
3) Look at the layer area - Change layer blending to "Overlay". You will see a slight change in the image, ignore it.
4) Select "Filter - Other - High pass filter" from filters menu item near the top of the screen.
5) On the dialogue screen set the "Radius" to somewhere in the range of 2 to 6. Have a play, see what you feel is best.
You don't want too much, because it will create fringes, BTW it will look a bit different later on; Press "OK".

6) Change blending mode to "Soft light"  or "Hard light" depending on what you like the look of.
7) If the image is too sharp decrease the opacity of the layer.

8 ) To see the changes, find the eyeball that is next to the top layer in the layer palette, it is a toggle, click it off, then on, you will see the difference.
If you see no change, you are clicking the wrong eyeball, or you got my instructions wrong. (Assuming I got them right).

9) If you want to save space, flatten the image before saving. If not, save it as a PSD.

10) Let me know if it works for you, and in your opinion, is it better than USM.
lefty aka The Heikze! :eyebrowe:

Heiko Carstens
http://www.lefty74.com

Would you like me to install one of my mods for you? Read here for details
lefty
Abschlussklasse R10c

Postby Nealmc69 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:08 pm

Thanks, I wil give this complicated stuff a go :0)
Nealmc69
THE Oyaji

Return to General Chat - Klönschnack